Revelation: from the Greek apocalypse, which means the unveiling

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Daniel's Vision of a Man


This chapter begins after Cyrus has signed the decree that returns the Jews to their homeland. We know that Daniel either returned with the Jews or retired from public service and remained in Babylon.  In Daniel 1:21 And Daniel remained there until the first year of King Cyrus.  It is not made clear whether he has returned to Jerusalem or stayed in Babylon. In any case, the signing of the decree was not the end of Daniel's visions.


10 In the third year of Cyrus king of Persia, a revelation was given to Daniel (who was called Belteshazzar). Its message was true and it concerned a great war.[a]The understanding of the message came to him in a vision.
At that time I, Daniel, mourned for three weeks. I ate no choice food; no meat or wine touched my lips; and I used no lotions at all until the three weeks were over.
On the twenty-fourth day of the first month, as I was standing on the bank of the great river, the Tigris, I looked up and there before me was a man dressed in linen, with a belt of fine gold from Uphaz around his waist. His body was like topaz, his face like lightning, his eyes like flaming torches, his arms and legs like the gleam of burnished bronze, and his voice like the sound of a multitude.
I, Daniel, was the only one who saw the vision; those who were with me did not see it, but such terror overwhelmed them that they fled and hid themselves. So I was left alone, gazing at this great vision; I had no strength left, my face turned deathly pale and I was helpless. Then I heard him speaking, and as I listened to him, I fell into a deep sleep, my face to the ground.
10 A hand touched me and set me trembling on my hands and knees. 11 He said, “Daniel, you who are highly esteemed, consider carefully the words I am about to speak to you, and stand up, for I have now been sent to you.” And when he said this to me, I stood up trembling.
12 Then he continued, “Do not be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them. 13 But the prince of the Persian kingdom resisted me twenty-one days. Then Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, because I was detained there with the king of Persia.14 Now I have come to explain to you what will happen to your people in the future, for the vision concerns a time yet to come.
15 While he was saying this to me, I bowed with my face toward the ground and was speechless. 16 Then one who looked like a man[b] touched my lips, and I opened my mouth and began to speak. I said to the one standing before me, “I am overcome with anguish because of the vision, my lord, and I feel very weak. 17 How can I, your servant, talk with you, my lord? My strength is gone and I can hardly breathe.”
18 Again the one who looked like a man touched me and gave me strength. 19 “Do not be afraid, you who are highly esteemed,” he said. “Peace! Be strong now; be strong.”
When he spoke to me, I was strengthened and said, “Speak, my lord, since you have given me strength.”
20 So he said, “Do you know why I have come to you? Soon I will return to fight against the prince of Persia, and when I go, the prince of Greece will come; 21 but first I will tell you what is written in the Book of Truth. (No one supports me against them except Michael, your prince.

In the third year that Cyrus ruled, probably around 534-533 B.C. Daniel receives a vision of a great war and the meaning is also shown to him. At the time, Daniel had been in mourning and fasting from meat and wine or pampering his body. It is not clear why Daniel is mourning, it could be that he was soul sad because of his previous visions and all they stood for. It could be because though the Jews had been given permission to return to their land, their were probably issues from the Babylonians and from the other people that had been settled in the land by Nebuchadnezzar. 
On the 24th day of Nisan or Aviv, the first month of the Jewish calendar, in our calendar this usually falls around March or April. Daniel was standing on the banks of the Tigris river, he sees a man dressed in linen and gold. Daniel describes his face like lightning and his eyes like flaming torches, his arms of bronze and his voice sounding like a multitude of voices. We can assume that this man was the angel Gabriel.
Daniel must have been with other people, but he is the only one that sees the man. The others felt terror and ran and hid, so Daniel was left alone. Daniel lost all strength and felt helpless before the angel, as Gabriel spoke to him, Daniel fell into a deep sleep. Gabriel touched Daniel and told him that he has been sent to Daniel. He tells Daniel not to be afraid, that he had been sent to respond to Daniel's prayers. Gabriel tells Daniel that he had been detained by the Prince of Persia for twenty-one days until Michael came to help him. He was not delayed by a physical person.
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.  Ephesians 6:12
Now Gabriel tells Daniel that he has come to tell him what will happen to his people in the future. Daniel bows to the ground in anguish because of the vision, after Gabriel touches Daniel's lips, Daniel explains that he has no strength and can barely breathe.  Gabriel speaks and tells Daniel to be strong and Daniel is strengthened.  He then tells Daniel that he will soon return to fight against the Prince of Persia, and when he leaves the Prince of Greece will come. Before he goes he will tell Daniel what is written in the Book of Truth. He also says that no one supports him against these Princes except Michael, your prince. Michael is seen as the guardian angel of the Jewish people and therefore would aid Gabriel in fighting for them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment